Tuesday 1 November 2016

Finished Commission!

Just a quick post today to let you know about my most recent commission!

Fantasy author Rose Withering got in touch with me to commission the pendant that is featured on one of her book's covers. She wanted a tiny unicorn pendant, on a choker-length necklace.

Here it is after I'd made the initial base from gold polymer clay, inset semi-translucent mauve gem clay into it, and built up the structure of the unicorn on the front.


This next photo below shows some of the stages that it went through. (And I created these pieces at the same time). All four translucent mauve/rose clays were made from the same batch, with a deeper purple added to the two with the golden clay surrounds. 


And then I baked the pieces! In general, polymer clay bakes at 130 degrees C for 15 minutes per 1/4 inch. These baked for half an hour. I chose to secure the unicorn pendant with a hair-pin that goes all the way through for, and then I later cut part of the excess off, and twisted it around to form an eye (so it looks like an eye pin). 

After that, I added a subtle layer of acrylic pain to define the unicorn further, and set the paint through  baking it again for 15 minutes at 96 degrees C. 

A layer of gloss finished the pendant itself and then I made a silver-plated lobster-clasp chain to finalise it. (The light in the photo below was actually really bright, and the gloss on the pendant meant it was very hard to photograph without getting any shine or glare!) 






No comments:

Post a Comment